The Sandwich Diet (No Sandwiches Included)

#1 Don't take this too seriously
#2 But this is seriously working for me

Make a "Sandwich" of Your Day

Preparation: This is the most important step, because without the healthy food in the house you will not eat it.
  • Think - Think about the healthy foods you like to eat.  What's a satisfying healthy breakfast to you?  (I like oatmeal.) What makes a salad edible?  (I've gotta have a little something sweet, like apples or raisins.) What are your favorite fruits, veggies, and lean meats?  (I chose apples, broccoli, and salmon.)
  • Make a list - A shopping list that is...and stick to it! (OR...browse the produce section and buy what looks good and is on sale.  This worked for me.)
  • Shop - The only thing that makes this diet a real "diet" is that it doesn't include "junk food" (sweets, things high in salt, fat, etc.)  We're not counting calories, so get as much of the good stuff as you like.
Eat: This is where the "sandwich" part comes in
Think of your day as a sandwich.  Start it off and end it with satisfying complex carbohydrates and whole grains.  (I started with oatmeal and ended with a bowl of cereal.)  Then fill up the middle with good for you fruits, veggies, and lean meats...keeping your carbs low, but not out. 

Here's a Sample:
  • Breakfast - Oatmeal (I recently discovered "Better Oats" on sale at Ingles, and it's gooood.)
  • Snack - An apple with a little peanut butter (I use the natural peanut butters. This is also good because my kids won't ask for an apple, but if I get it out and cut it, they'll eat it.)
  • Lunch - A salad made to your pleasure...heavy on veggies and light on the others.  (I had a baby spinach mix with raisins, walnuts, broccoli, and topped with a little vinaigrette.)
  • Snack - A palm full of almonds and a few dried apricots
  • Supper - Grilled salmon (IV made it yummy for me once with honey and salt free lemon pepper and it is the best!) with a couple of veggies (I had some green beans and tomatoes caprese - a.k.a. the best way to eat a tomato!)
  • Snack - That bowl of cereal (My life is not complete without an evening bowl of cereal. :) )
Drink lots of water, don't go hungry (hence the snacks), and you can do it!

Assess:
  • After a full day of conscience eating like this I could already feel a difference.  (Usually, I just eat what's available without much thought except not to eat too much of any one thing.)
  • After three days -  I'm hooked...I feel a little cleaner, not as weighed down.  I think I want to stick with it. 
  • BUT, I am going on vacation tomorrow so I'm sure I'll be breaking my own rules real soon. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big, Fat Failure

Meal Planning - Conquered!

A Reminder: My take-away from a day in the Pilates and yoga world.