Don't Feed the Fears

#1 Everyone carries a little fear. (or a lot)
#2 The choice is, do we feed it, or release it?

IV and I just started teaching the 9th and 10th grade Life Group (a.k.a. Sunday School) at our church.
I'll admit I was a little nervous the first Sunday.  I hadn't been around high-schoolers in a long time, and I suddenly felt very old, and very uncool.  BUT, I had a grand feeling that this was just where the Lord wanted us to be.  So far, I think I'm right.  It's fun, and we're all learning a lot.
My first realization is that I'd forgotten the weight and worries kids carry over things that seem really unimportant to me now.  I know I was the same way, and it made me think about all the weight and worries I carry still that simply will not matter in a few years (or tomorrow).

Why do we fear?  Why do we doubt God?
He loves us.  He's with us.

    ‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’  
    Isaiah 41:10
It sounds easy.  Mary made it look easy.  We talked about her in Life Group today.  We discussed her emotions and reactions when she found out she was going to be carrying the Messiah in her womb.  We tried to imagine what it would be like to be her.  She would've known that she was in danger of being stoned, ridiculed, outcast, called a liar, and much more.  Yet what do we get from her?  A beautiful song of praise:

46 And Mary said:
My soul exalts the Lord,
47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
48 “For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave;
For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
49 “For the Mighty One has done great things for me;
And holy is His name.
50 And His mercy is upon generation after generation
Toward those who fear Him.
51 He has done mighty deeds with His arm;
He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart.
52 “He has brought down rulers from their thrones,
And has exalted those who were humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things;
And sent away the rich empty-handed.
54 “He has given help to Israel His servant,
In remembrance of His mercy,
55 As He spoke to our fathers,
To Abraham and his descendants forever.”

Mary released her fear by remembering what the Lord had already done.

We have to remember what the Lord has done for us, and stop feeding the fear.

David shows us how to do it too.  Psalm 13 is probably my favorite Psalm, so I was sad today when Edward (our worship leader) tried to share it as part of worship but was thwarted by an iPad glitch.
I love it because David expresses his worry and fear, but then he releases it.  He remembers who God is and what He's done.

Psalm 13 
How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
And my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken.
But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

Release.


  















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big, Fat Failure

Meal Planning - Conquered!

A Reminder: My take-away from a day in the Pilates and yoga world.