Top Ten Recipes OF ALL TIME!!!

#1 My dear babysitter (turned friend) is getting married and moving away.
#2 As a wedding gift I wanted to collect my "top ten" recipes...easy and delicious. 
#3 These are our family favorites, meaning IV's and my favorites, which my kids will (mostly) eat.

Top Ten Recipes


Basics:

 

1. Tacos

(This one will drive those of you who have to have exact measurements crazy....I just dash on the spices freely...by sight and by "feeling". :) )
  • 1 lb (or more) of ground beef (I usually do 3 lb and we'll have a tiny bit left over.)
  • Put it in a skillet to brown on the stove, and then sprinkle one side evenly and generously with:
    • Cumin
    • Cilantro
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Worcestershire Sauce
    • Onion Powder
    • Garlic
    • Add a couple of pinches of cinnamon and cayenne pepper (approx 1/8 tsp)
  • Brown and crumble meat and serve of tortilla shells with toppings of choice. (We like rice, cheese, corn, black beans, salsa, avocado, etc., etc., etc.)

 

2. Lasagna

I like this recipe because you don't have to pre-cook the noodles, and IV likes it because it's nice and meaty. Follow the link below for recipe:
 
"Easy Lasagna I" from Allrecipes.com (The best website for recipes...ever.)

 

3. Tomato Tortellini Soup

I make this whenever the tortellini's are on sale at Ingles:


It's one of the few meatless meals IV really likes:

"Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup" from Recipe Swagger


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4. Chicken with Rice

I made this for the first time last week, but already plan to make it again...it was REALLY good.  I also sped things up a little by just leaving the chicken in the skillet the whole time, mixing up the sauce around it, and then letting the chicken finish cooking on the stovetop in the sauce.  It was supremely moist.


I served this with Jasmine rice, which I may be addicted to, cooked in chicken broth (instead of water) and a teaspoon of lemon infused olive oil to flavor. (You could use a tsp of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice instead.)  Yum. Yum:


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Slow Cooker:

 

5. Chili

I make my first big pot of this at the end of October every year.  There's always enough to freeze, and it makes for a great, fast supper on cool nights throughout the fall.  Also, it makes hotdogs a real meal...that's what the kids eat when I cook it...picky, picky.

"Second Place Chili" from Dinner a Love Story (Another great site for recipes, and if you ever want to get me a gift I would love to have her cookbook. Hint. Hint. ;) )
 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6. BBQ (Shredded Beef)

The remainder of these slow cooker recipes use a magic little something known as Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce.  Their regular barbecue sauce is good too, but I prefer the honey:



Insert angelic music here: "Aaaaaaah"
I make this every time the rump roasts go on sale at Ingles.  I usually buy a 3 lb roast and triple all the other ingredients.  We eat it up fast on Martin's Potato Rolls:
 
"Shredded Beef" from Allrecipes.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7. BBQ Country Style Ribs

These have never failed me.   I buy the boneless ribs, but the bone-in ribs work just as well.


 

 

8. BBQ Chicken

I make this when I'm craving barbecue but the roasts won't go on sale.  Also, it's so easy and brainless, and you can take the chicken straight from the freezer to the crockpot!

"Crockpot Barbecue Chicken" from Stick a Fork in It

 

Sweet Treats:

 

 

9. Brownies with Cream Cheese

When I need something chocolate but don't have chocolate chips I almost always have cocoa powder so these are an easy fix.  They can be made with or without the cream cheese.  This is a Paula Deen recipe I got from this cookbook:


A gift from my Mother-in-law, and one of my go-to sources for some country cookin'
 
I found the recipe online at Home With Tammy:


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10. Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've saved the best for last.  My chocolate chip cookie recipe...originally from Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook:


A gift from my mother and a close second to Betty Crocker's Cookbook from 1981 - the orange one.
I couldn't find this exact recipe online, so this may be an online original!



















Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookies (1956)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup (salted) butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I usually just do 2 heaping cups)
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups) - {Ghirardelli 60% Cacao takes them to "dessert" level.}
 
Directions
  • Heat oven to 375ºF.
  • Mix sugars, butter, vanilla and eggs in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips.
  • Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  • Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet.
 

This "Top Ten" list is ever evolving, but all of these recipes are tough to beat!  I hope you'll give them a try and enjoy them as much as we do!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big, Fat Failure

Meal Planning - Conquered!

Run Free