Look for it!


“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”  ― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

#1 Somedays are just harder than others.
#2 Sometimes there's no apparent reason for the change.
#3 Today was one of those days.

Look for it!

Iv and I have been looking on and off for a house to buy for the past 6 years or so.
We put in another offer today.
I doubt they'll accept our offer.
That's okay.

Usually, I would have already started praying that we would be able to get the house.

I didn't want to pray this time.

"What's the use? We'll either be able to get it or we won't...whatever the Lord wants to do, He's going to do anyway. Right?  Why pray?"

Like the quote at the top - Joke's on me.

I prayed about it anyway...half-heartedly, and then forgot about it.

The Lord didn't forget about me though. 

The kids and I were driving home this evening right when a storm was clearing away.  There was sun shining through the windshield and dark clouds behind me. 
I kept telling the kids, "Look for a rainbow!  I know it will be there...just keep looking!"

They were about to give up when I insisted once again that they look out their windows...

And there it was. (I'm sure some of you saw it too.)

I had to make a quick turn into the waffle house to turn around...didn't want to miss it.

The kids were saying, "You were right, Mom! That's so cool!"
And they even thanked me for making them look.

As we were sitting in the Waffle House parking lot taking in the beauty of it all, the Lord spoke to me in the loving way He always does.

I realized that there is a reason I need to continue to pray...
I need to pray for all things - like an offer on a house, or a friend who's in need, or for safety and provision...
I need to pray, so that I won't miss God's hand at work in my life.
I don't want to miss it.

Just like I kept telling the kids, "Look for it!  Look for it!"  I need to remind myself to keep looking for God moving around me. 
Keep looking!  I don't want to miss something beautiful!

Prayer does that.  It keeps me involved in the works of the Lord.

He does answer prayer.
Praise awaits you, our God, in Zion;
    to you our vows will be fulfilled.
You who answer prayer,
    to you all people will come.
When we were overwhelmed by sins,
    you forgave our transgressions.
Blessed are those you choose
    and bring near to live in your courts!
We are filled with the good things of your house,
    of your holy temple.
You answer us with awesome and righteous deeds,
    God our Savior,
the hope of all the ends of the earth
    and of the farthest seas,
who formed the mountains by your power,
    having armed yourself with strength,
who stilled the roaring of the seas,
    the roaring of their waves,
    and the turmoil of the nations.
The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders;
    where morning dawns, where evening fades,
    you call forth songs of joy.  - Psalm 65

Thank you, Lord, for making me look.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big, Fat Failure

Meal Planning - Conquered!

Run Free