"Lies Women Believe" Bible Study De-briefing

The women's group at my church recently finished a study through the book Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  Honestly, I didn't enjoy it much at first, but I kept going because I needed the fellowship.  Little did I know that God would really use the study to make a small but very impactful change in my life.

It was the second to last week of meetings and I didn't finish the reading.  I skimmed it well enough to have the main ideas ready for discussion.  The group time went well with one or two of the ladies doing most of the talking.  (This does sometimes annoy me but not when what they're saying is worth hearing. :) )

The chapters we were discussing were about life's circumstances and being controlled my your emotions.  At first I thought I would be more impacted by the chapter on circumstances because of what all we've been through this past year, but I was wrong...

When I got home that evening I felt very uneasy...no peace.  I started to pray and read my Bible.  I realized that perhaps I was controlled by emotions much more than I wanted to admit to myself.  I've always struggled with yelling at my children, and lately the mood of the whole house seemed to be swinging along with my moods.  I prayed that the Lord would change me, but at first I felt like I needed something tangible to help me make the change.  I'm always using calendars, lists, apps on my phone, self-help books, etc to make other positive changes in my life but I couldn't think of anything that would do the job.  Then that still, small voice reminded me that God could do it without any outside help, so I prayed that he would.  I truly believed that he could.  Then there was peace.

The next morning I woke up and went to the kitchen to start my morning routine of Ace's medicine, chocolate milk all around, breakfast of some sort, coffee and vitamins.  Every morning I do the same thing but this morning was different.  I took notice of the under-counter CD player my mom had passed on to me, which I'd been using since I got it, but now I realized how God was using it to answer a prayer that I didn't even pray.  I turned to the Christian radio station and was immediately lifted.  I realized that having this music in the background would be a great reminder for me to keep my emotional responses in check.  I just said, "Thank you Lord", and we went on to have a great day and then a great week. 

Not that I wasn't tested...
Some women chose to act like a didn't exist as I squeezed by them on my morning jog.  This annoyed me, but I knew I had to let it go.  People are not here to serve me and I can't become angry at petty things like that.  I dealt with it by talking to IV and telling him everything I'd been learning.  There was also a really bad Monday for King and me.  I had to pray out loud for God's help at one point.  King and Duke just stared at me for a second.  We survived. 

After all this I was really encouraged from the Word.  I've been reading through Genesis and just the fact that God could use Moses, as imperfect as he was, for such an amazing event helped me realize that I don't have to be perfect for God to use me.  (Genesis 3) Then I read in Nehemiah, and all the persecution he received while trying to rebuild the wall helped me know that I could do the right thing in the face of my small adversities.  (Nehemiah 6)

I'll end with a quote from Lies Women Believe that really sums it all up for me:
"When I have no resources of my own left, His resources have not begun to depleted."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big, Fat Failure

Meal Planning - Conquered!

A Reminder: My take-away from a day in the Pilates and yoga world.