Check Your Posture

#1 Having good posture with your body takes practice.  You have to be aware of your body's position and form habits to keep your neck, back, and hips aligned so your body can function at it's best.  (I have my dad to thank for always reminding me to stand up straight...Pilates is good for this too. :) )
#2 Your heart can have a posture all of its own.

What's the position of your heart?


This was a question in our life group's study guide this morning at church.
We've been working our way through Exodus and talked today about the Israelites whining in the desert for water, forgetting where they came from, and losing focus on God and where He was leading them (Exodus 17).
Their hearts were turning inward...focusing on themselves and their immediate needs and desires instead of on the God who, thus far, had provided everything they needed. 

The posture of their hearts was out of alignment.

Boy, could I relate...

Earlier this week I posted this verse on Instagram:


 
I was feeling like Asaph in Psalm 73:
Surely God is good to Israel,
    to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
    I had nearly lost my foothold.
For I envied the arrogant
    when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
I knew God was still good, but I just wasn't feeling it.  My heart was out of position.  I was focusing inward.  The psalm goes on to say:
 12 This is what the wicked are like—
    always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.
13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure
    and have washed my hands in innocence.
14 All day long I have been afflicted,
    and every morning brings new punishments.
I was just getting tired.  It's hard to always try to do the right thing, especially when you mess up so often. 
 
I was thinking about it in the car, and I had one of those moments where a verse pops into your mind, and you know it's God speaking to you through His Spirit...it was a simple,
"Cease striving" (Psalm 46:10).  Thank you, Lord.
 
So, I took a deep breath and gave it up.  Relief.
 
The rest of Psalm 73 talks about this relief...When you've entered God's presence and your heart is back in position so that you're able to have a clear view of what's going on around you, and you're able to see with new perspective what God's doing:
 23 Yet I am always with you;
    you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
    and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.
27 Those who are far from you will perish;
    you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
    I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
    I will tell of all your deeds.
 
Phew.  Praise the Lord for staying with us...even when we are as Asaph was earlier in Psalm 73:
21 When my heart was grieved
    and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
    I was a brute beast before you.
"A brute beast"...I can definitely be that at times.  Sad truth.
{Read the full psalm here.}
 
Thankfully, He never lets go...He never fails...God is ALWAYS faithful.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big, Fat Failure

Meal Planning - Conquered!

A Reminder: My take-away from a day in the Pilates and yoga world.