Writing about God

I ran across some old college papers today.  They somehow survived the "spider house" (read that story here), which is amazing in and of itself, and surfaced as I was searching for my YMCA aerobic certification cards, which I found expired (of course).  These papers serve as evidence that child bearing kills brain cells. :) 

Upon reading them, and realizing that I have no memory of writing them, I found myself doubting I could do it again.  Who knows though?  The reason I majored in Bible was because it was the only subject I really enjoyed studying and the only one I felt worth such devotion. 

Though writing papers was never one of my favorite past times I do remember the growth I experienced through the process and the sense of fulfillment at the end.  The paper that follows is one I remember dreading to write but it ended up being the one I was most thankful to have written.  It made me think...maybe it will make you think too.

Theology Statement
I believe in God as the Trinity, one nature and three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit; all being equal and eternal.  I believe that Jesus Christ came to earth in human form (John 1:14), being a unified person, fully man and fully God (Colossians 2:9); He is one person with two natures.  He was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary (Galatians 4:4; Matthew 1:18-25).

I believe God has revealed Himself in His Word through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit on the authors, using their own personalities to record His revelation (Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:16).  The Holy Bible, including the Old and New Testaments, is the inerrant Word of God.  I believe the Scriptures hold ultimate authority for doctrine and life.

I believe that God is sovereign over all of creation and that He knows, and controls, the future.  I believe He has revealed Himself through His Word, His Son, and His creation (Hebrews 1:1-2; Psalm 19).  I believe He is great in power and good in justice.  I believe God is immanent and transcendent (Jeremiah 23:24; Isaiah 55:8-9).

I believe that man was created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26), fell to sin, and was cursed to work in life and to die (Genesis 3:16-19).  All men are born with a sinful nature and need to be reconciled to God and justified in His sight (Romans 3:23).  Jesus Christ was sent to earth to die for man's sin (2 Corinthians 5:19).  I believe He died on the cross as a representative and substitute for man's sin (1 John 2:1-2) and that He rose on the third day. 

I believe that Jesus is the only Savior and that only those who repent of their sins, believe that Jesus died and was resurrected, and confess Him as their Lord and Savior are saved from spiritual death by the grace of God (Romans 10:9).

I believe that the Holy Spirit works to bring those who have been predestined to be saved to salvation (Romans 8:29) and that those who have confessed Jesus as Lord are baptized with the Holy Spirit, who convicts of guilt and righteousness and judgment (John 16:8).

I believe that Jesus ascended into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of God (Mark 16:19), and that He will return to earth and reign on His eternal throne (Matthew 24:30-31).

I believe that in the end all men will be resurrected in body, and that all will be judged.  I believe in a real Heaven and a real Hell, and that the righteous before God will spend eternity with God and the unrighteous with be damned to Hell, eternally punished in separation from God (Romans 6:23; Matthew 13:41-42).

I believe that until the time of Jesus' return we are called to spread the Gospel of Jesus death and resurrection, evangelizing (Mark 16:15), and working in the Church, which is the body of Christ.  I believe Christ is the head of this body and that we are all to use the gifts given to us by God to honor God and bring glory to His name and to edify one another in LOVE (Ephesians 4:15-16).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big, Fat Failure

Run Free

Meal Planning - Conquered!